“¡ Picasso ! ” , an unprecedented exhibitionThe ¡ Picasso ! anniversary exhibition presented on the five floors of Hôtel Salé illustrates the continuity and deep unity of the collection and the history of the museum. The Musée National Picasso-Paris has the world’s largest public collection of Pablo Picasso’s work, covering all his creative periods and all fields, including “Picasso’s Picassos” straight from the artist’s studio. Pablo Picasso’s personal archives and the museum’s archives are at the heart of this exhibition project. They echo the masterpieces and, as most of them have never been exhibited before, give a different interpretation of the life, creative process and circulation of the master’s artworks
A large visual collage invites visitors to go on a tour of the five floors of Hôtel Salé starting with the history of the museum (basement), discover a chronological presentation of the major works (ground floor and 1st floor), then “Pablo Picasso – public figure” (2nd floor), and meet the “private Picasso” (3rd floor). This is a contemporary interpretation of Picasso’s works that alternates between rooms featuring dense displays and more intimate sequences.
The exhibition at a glance :4 distinct parts: the history of the museum, the collection masterpieces, Picasso the public figure, Picasso the private figure
– 105 paintings (including 86 by Picasso)
– 92 sculptures (85 by Picasso) including 22 ceramic pieces, 13 objects and 1 textile artwork
– 192 graphic artworks (186 by Picasso) including 94 illustrations, 20 sketch books, 10 illustrated books, 62 prints and et 6 print matrices
– 190 photographs
– 1 contemporary installation
– 4 films and about 30 INA extracts
– 314 archives including 223 documents and correspondences, 38 periodicals, 31 publications and 22 objects
Musée Picasso Paris - ¡ Picasso ! - 20.10.2015-31.12.2016
Website : Paris FR - EN - DE -NE - ES ......